Postal Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Mutual Transfer Ads - Clerks    Rural Craft to Clerk
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rural Craft to Clerk Login/Join

posted
HI Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I'm getting ready to change from rural regular to PTF clerk, what kind of a salary am I looking at. I've been a regular for 10 years, but have had enough of getting my pay check screwed with every time we have a mail count. I'm in the $57,000.00 ayear. I know I wouldn't be making that , but if someone could give me a heads up, I'd appreciate it. Going to retail window.
Thankyou

Posts: 4 | Registered: 27 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay with the $57,000 a year! What you lose in one mail count you always get back in another.
Starting over as a PTF is not a good idea in this economy , PTF's are not guaranteed 40 hours a week , you are scheduled as needed. The emphasis on cost savings within the postal service this year is aimed at retail services. Whenever times are slow , you will be sent home , whenever a full time window position is vavcated , the next senior clerk will bid on that job eliminating the need for you. If you do by chance work 40 hours a week , after establishing an interim for a full time position , that job needs to be put up for bid.
The next mail count may be to your advantage , one thing is certain , you will always have mail to carry , window services , consolidations and budget cuts affect the craft you wish to move to. Stay with the devikl you know.

Postal Pete in Kentucky
PostalPete70117@aol.com

Posts: 4 | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Countryman Thanks for your thoughts, very much appreciated.
R8

Posts: 4 | Registered: 27 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
depends what type of office you go into. i was a PTF for almost 2 years and the worked the DOGZHIT outa me, almost 60 hrs per week, and NEVER less than 35-36 hrs.

as for pay, you would lose seniority, but youd be paid at the rate of what ever number of years you have in. say if you have 10 years at USPS, youd be paid at that level and grade, plus ptf's make more money than regulars cause they dont get paid holidays! so you get a lil extra to make up for it.

id say go for it, you may lose a lil money, but you'll make it up in others ways. i only have 3 years of service and im makeing 22.00 and change per hour, plus night diferentials, it comes out to almost 25.00 per hour.

go to the apwu.org website and check their pay scales for clerks with 10 years. , then ad 7.5% and thats what youd get, at least if its the same as here in tampa area.

good luck with whatever you choose, cause i know 57,000 is a good chunk of change!

mike

Posts: 32 | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would recommend staying as a rural carrier. I know you feel as you've been cheated during the mail count however you still can go home when you complete your route. The top pay for a clerk is barely over $51K a year thats without any OT. However as a ptf your not guaranteed 40 hours,no paid holidays,no guarantee your going to have a day off or what hours you'll be working. To work the window you need to like to deal with many types of people,ask tons of questions,and also need to have basic knowledge of how the post office operates. Good luck with whatever decision you choose.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post