Postal Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Mutual Transfer Ads - Letter Carriers    BLOOMINGTON IN (11/98) TO TAMPA FL, AUSTIN TX OR SURR. AREAS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLOOMINGTON IN (11/98) TO TAMPA FL, AUSTIN TX OR SURR. AREAS Login/Join

posted
Bloomington is a beautiful university town 20 minutes from national forests and Indiana's largest reservoir; 45 minutes from Indy; multiple cultural offerings and great university soccer and basketball teams. Overtime available. I want to relocate for personal, family reasons.

Posts: 105 | Location: Bloomington, Indiana | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you be interested in San Antonio? NE San Antonio is just 1 hour from Austin.

Are you a regular or PTF?

Posts: 12 | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kyle, I've been a regular in Bloomington for 13 years, at the very beginning of my seniority date of 11/98. What about you? How long have you worked in San Antonio? To be honest I don't know much about your city? What is it like?
Thanks,

Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Bloomington, Indiana | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a regular and my seniority date is 05/2004, all of that time in San Antonio, most of it at my current station. My station handles the far NE corner of San Antonio and the city of Live Oak; there are 35 city routes and 5 rural routes at this station and all are either mounted or cluster boxes or both - no walking routes here, although there are some in other parts of the city. There are 35+ stations in San Antonio so there are a lot of bidding opportunities.

San Antonio is very nice; it's the 2nd largest city in Texas (7th largest in the US). However, the population is spread out over a very large area (400+ square miles), so it doesn't "feel" like a big city and it's very easy to get around in - easier than Austin! Strong military presence (Fort Sam Houston, Lackland AFB, Randolph AFB, and Brook Army Medical Center). It's not a "college" town, but there are over 25 colleges and universities in San Antonio. Lots of tourists (20 million each year) who visit the Alamo, Sea World, Fiesta Texas, and The Riverwalk. Home to five Fortune 500 companies, with many other companies who have national or regional headquarters in SA. One professional sports team (San Antonio Spurs), plus a minor-league AA baseball team, a minor league (AHL) hockey team, and a WNBA basketball team. No major football teams (college or professional) but the NCAA Alamo Bowl is held here in December. We're about an hour away from Austin, 1-2 hours to the Texas Hill Country, 3 hours from the Gulf coast (there are several good lakes/rivers close by, too).

posted Hide Post
Kyle, how serious are you about Bloomington? If you have any questions about Bloomington, let me know. Does San Antonio have FSS flats yet? Bloomington has been dropped from plans to get FSS flats in the immediate future, although eventually the whole country will have it. Your seniority of '04 will make you regular in Bloomington.
Thanks, Paul

posted Hide Post
I am interested; I would prefer Michigan but Bloomington puts me only 8 hours away from my father who is in poor health. And it's just 10 hours away from my in-laws, which makes the wife happy. It's a good location for us both.

Now some questions - how many bidding stations are there in Bloomington? How many routes in your current station, and are there any walking routes? How many delivery points (average) per route? How is the cost of living there (heating, electric, etc) and what are the winters like?

BTW - there are no FSS flats here yet, and no plans for them in the near future.

posted Hide Post
Kyle, my email address is prrogers4@sbcglobal.net Why don't you email me yours and we can discuss this privately.
Thanks, Paul