Postal Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Mutual Transfer Ads - Rural Carriers    Does anyone know if a postmaster can deny you a swap?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know if a postmaster can deny you a swap? Login/Join

posted
My postmaster is saying he doesn't want to sign my already 3 signature swap paperwork. Has anyone had this problem and is it "legal"??

Posts: 15 | Registered: 29 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that all postmasters involved must sign off on mutual tranfers. Having gone through the process before, that was my experience.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 22 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They can deny it if the new carrier coming in has a bad attendance record, lots of accidents, disciplinary problems, things like that. They can't deny it just because they feel like it, or because they don't want you to go. I've done 5 trades so far, and each time, the postmasters involved checked the incoming persons records before they agreed to it and signed the paper.

Posts: 192 | Location: Largo Florida | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, according to my steward. The postmaster is not required to approve a transfer. She said the postmaster can deny a carrier from transferring to their office as long as it's not for discriminatory reasons. You might want to check with your steward though. I couldn't find any language in the contract that was definitive in answering this question. Which usually means if it's not in the contract then you don't have a legit grievance.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 16 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post