Postal Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Postal News Discussion Forum    Fayetteville postal worker dies after spending hours in mail truck on 95-degree day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fayetteville postal worker dies after spending hours in mail truck on 95-degree day Login/Join

posted
Wednesday "Wendy" Johnson was 51 years old when she died at Cape Fear Valley Hospital in June.

Family members said her death was heat-related and she began to feel weary on a hot day while working her job with the U.S. Postal Service. Johnson, who lived in Sanford, worked for the service for more than 20 years.

Weeks later, her children are still grieving and absorbing the shock from their sudden loss on June 6.

"When I would think of my mom, I would think of my own community because I didn't need nobody else but her," said daughter Sa'ni Johnson.

Her son, Deandre Johnson, said Wendy was riding in the back of a postal truck on a 95-degree day. Wendy worked as a supervisor and would sometimes help with deliveries. On this day, she began to have complications.

Postal workers said she was eventually found unconscious in the bathroom of a Fayetteville post office on Raeford Road. She was a supervisor at the post office on Southern Avenue.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is investigating the death as heat-related.

The vehicles used by the office do not have air conditioning. One postal worker who didn't want to be on camera said they call the postal trucks "easy bake ovens."

More at https://www.wral.com/story/fay...degree-day/21518584/

Posts: 63 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post